Land Seismic Acquisition Technology
- Overview of course content & learning objectives
- Introduction: operations and 3D acquisition geometries
- Hi-channel count single sensor (point receiver)
- Case study example: China integrated study
- Exercise: operational efficiency (1)
Learning objectives: Understand the basics of land acquisition: operations in a variety of different terrains and environments. Understand the typical 3D land acquisition geometries, the motivations behind them, their limitations and how they can be expressed with different attributes and metrics. Understand the concept of single sensor and single source acquisition vs arrays, and the consequences for data processing. Understand the characteristics of ambient and coherent noise, the importance of coherent noise sampling and how it can be filtered.
Land Seismic Acquisition Technology
- Simultaneous source, high-productivity vibroseis
- Wireless nodal systems
- Case study example: single sensor broadband
- Exercise: operational efficiency (2)
Learning objectives: Understand the cost benefit of simultaneous source acquisition, the different methodologies, how and when they can be used to deliver improved data quality and/or more efficient operations, and the implications for data processing. Understand how broadband data improves resolution. Understand the importance of low frequencies and how they can be obtained in the field. Get an overview of wireless nodal systems and their impact on acquisition operations. Understand how to analyze operational efficiency and its parameters.
Survey Design Basics
- Survey design basics
- Modeling, using a 1D earth model, to determine offset/angle limits, muting, bin size, fold and migration aperture
- Exercise: resolution spreadsheet
Learning objectives: Understand the basic objectives and methods of land survey design. Understand how to use existing data and what constitutes a viable earth model for 1D seismic modeling. Understand the different types of resolution in seismic data required for successful interpretation and reservoir characterization. Understand how to determine basic acquisition parameters using a few simple equations starting from a 1D earth model.
Survey Design - Designing a 3D geometry
- Designing a 3D geometry
- Survey design impact on imaging
- Case study example: UAE integrated study
- Exercise: generate a 3D acquisition geometry
Learning objectives: Understand how to translate basic survey design parameters and objectives into a 3D acquisition geometry and how to choose between the different geometry options. Understand the relationship between acquisition geometry and modern time and depth imaging workflows.
Survey Design - New processing technology & Inversion
- New processing technology: noise attenuation, demultiple, surface wave inversion, interpolation, irregular geometries
- Survey design impact on inversion (AVO, pre-stack, AVOAz)
- Case study example: inversion for unconventionals (US)
- Review of course objectives and feedback
Learning objectives: Understand the requirements for critical processing steps like demultiple, how new interpolation technology can impact survey design and how new processing technology enables non-uniform survey layout. Understand the requirements that AVO, pre-stack inversion and AVOAz (fractures & stress) place on survey design.
Geophysicists with limited experience of seismic acquisition, or more experienced staff including Interpreters and Operational Geophysicists who need to keep up with the rapidly developing field of modern seismic acquisition techniques.
Foundation level Seismic Acquisition and Processing or equivalent practical experience of land seismic acquisition operations.