- Introduction to Marine Seismic Industry
- Introduction and development of the HSE
- HSE Management Systems
- Local Legislation
- Exercise 1:Piper Alpha short case study of main failings
Overview of seismic operations, survey vessels and equipment. Outline of HSE principles, history and evolution. Introduction to Marine Codes and Conventions such as SOLAS, MARPOL. Key components of a Safety Management System (Plan, Do, Check, Act). Maritime boundaries and legislation.
- Offshore Operations
- Manual Handling & Ergonomics
- Hazard Identification & Risk Analysis
- Risk Management and Job Safety Analysis (JSA)
- Exercise 2: Hazard hunt and risk controlThe exercise requires the participants to identify a range of hazards and define associated risks and potentials. And possible controls and mitigations.
Overview, videos and discussions of Small Boat and Helicopter operations and the use of offshore gangways for crew changes. Safe manual handling and the use of ergonomics to control the hazard. Introduction of the fundamentals of risk assessment including risk identification, classification and control.
- Equipment Safety
- Operational Systems on board
- Safe Working Procedures & Permit to Work and Lock out Tag out (PTW & LOTO)
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Exercise 3: PPE selectionThe exercise will study several different scenarios and require the course delegates to select appropriate PPE for the tasks within the scenarios.
General requirements for work equipment. Hazards and controls for machinery and hand held tools. High pressure and electrical systems safety. Control of work including PTW, LOTO and high risk activity. General requirements and types of PPE.
- Social Media & Community Relations
- Personal Security
- Safety Leadership
- Auditing techniques
- Exercise 4: Develop a set of auditing questions for small boats and Gun Deployment scenarios
On-board communications, social media and the need for control. Personal, travel and offshore security arrangements. Key elements of safety culture and safety leadership. The need for and different types of audit, audit conduct, types of question and audit reports.
- Behavioural Based Safety
- Incident investigation & Root Cause Analysis
- Marine Life Protection
- Waste Management
- Exercise 5: Behaviour based safety exercise positive behaviour re enforcement and intervention in unsafe behaviour (role play incorporated)
Legal requirements and procedures for the protection of Marine Life, the role of MMO’s and PAM operators. Principles of waste management and how this is managed within the marine environment. Incident Investigation principles and outline of RCA. Behavioural Based Safety principles and their application.
Anyone who is involved in the planning and execution of seismic surveys (including supervisors and managers) who needs an increased understanding of the management of HSE within the Marine Seismic environment.
No mandatory prerequisites are required to complete this course although some knowledge of Marine or Seismic Industry knowledge would be advantageous.