Petrel Reservoir Engineering
Average client rating (based on 352 attendee reviews)
This course is designed to introduce reservoir engineers and asset teams to the interactive Petrel reservoir engineering tools used for the construction of simulation models.
In this course, you will build a 3D simulation model inside Petrel based on geological input data, add wells and well control rules, create black oil fluid models and rock physics functions, and submit the model to the simulators. Additional learining contents on Well engineering, upscaling/advanced cornerpoint gridding and some modeling options (aquifer creation, local grid refinement, creation of tartan grids, case conversion) are also discussed.
The hands-on exercises are structured to enable the trainee apply the software skills obtained during training and cover most of the Petrel simulation workflows. Overall, pre-processing and post-processing of simulation data will be done within the Petrel environment.
- Introduction to Petrel Reservoir engineering workflows
- Overview of the Petrel user interface focusing on typical reservoir engineering workflow
- How to create a simple simulation grid using different gridding techniques s in Petrel
- How to create or import Rock physics and fluid model using available tools in Petrel
- How to set up a simulation case
- Intialization of simulation model workflow and volume calculation
- How to run simulation simulations and result reviewing and anaysis using the avaliable tools in Petrel
- Introduction to history matching and prediction workflow in Petrel (detailed workflows on how to create history and prediction strategies)
- How to import an OFM project and Observed data (.vol)
- How to create fault transmissibity multiplier using Structural and Fault analysis tool
The exercises are structured to take you through all of the main elements of the Development strategy dialog box and its applications within the Petrel reservoir engineering workflow.
- Introduction to Well Engineering workflow in Petrel
- How to design a well using the interactive approach and also the concept of multi-trajectory concept and automated well design tools
- How to create/import well data into your Petrel project including vertical flow performance (VFP) tables
- Creating completion items in wells using the automated and manual well completion design tools
- How to use Well manager and well report options in Petrel for quality checking
- Grid Ugridding and upscaling using the classical method and dual reservoir scale modeling workflow in Petrel
- Introduction to aquifer modeling and local grid refinement in Petrel
- Conversion of ECLIPSE simulation case to Petrel case workflow
- Introduction to how make tartan grid and the use of Keyword Editor
- Simulation study exercises
The goal of the simulation study exercises is to give you the opportunity to apply most of what you have learned during this course in a more realistic scenario. Each exercise contains a description of the scenario and the main steps. The idea is to let you solve the designed scenario tasks by yourself. Few tips are given in each exercise to encourage you to find your own way to complete the task.
- Introduction to Petrel workflows
- Petrel Reservoir Engineering to newcomers
- How to set up simulation case in Petrel
- Initialization and Volume Calculation
- Simulation Run and viewing Results
- History Matching and Prediction
- Well Engineering
- Upscaling and Advanced Corner Point Grid
- Additional Modeling Options
- Simulation study exercise
Development and exploration petroleum engineers, reservoir engineers and geoscientists.
General knowledge of reservoir engineering, and/or petroleum geology and geophysics.