Principles of reservoir engineering – Production mechanisms, fundamental fluid and rock properties, including capillary pressure, relative permeability, PVT behavior, and the differences between black oil and compositional fluids.
- Basic reservoir drive mechanisms
- Production mechanism in oil/gas shales
- Phase behavior for five reservoir fluids
- Rock wettability, relative permeability, capillary pressure
Workshops – field examples - fluid samples relative perm measurement
Well evaluation – well testing principles and philosophies, including pressure and rate transient analysis
- Fundaments in pressure transient test and its limitation in shales
- Rate transient in gas shale
Workshop – field examples – rate transient analysis
Reserves estimation – volumetric and decline curve analysis. Estimation of resources and reserves in shale gas plays, and the role of decline curve analysis and reservoir simulation.
- Reserves definitions
- Reserves estimation using volumetric and decline curve analysis in shales
- Limitations of these conventional methods
Workshop – field examples
Principles of reservoir simulation – static and dynamic modeling, including single-well and full-field modeling. Incorporating petrophysical and geomechanical data into the reservoir model and validating the models with production history.
- Introduction to reservoir simulation
- Model design and calibration
- Production prediction
- Results interpretation
Workshops – field examples of reservoir simulation in oil / gas shales
Reservoir simulation with staged fractures in horizontal wells – dual porosity, discrete fracture network modeling, and matrix/fracture transfer functions. Evaluating the effectiveness of hydraulic fractures with pre and post stimulation analysis.
- Characteristics of Shale Simulators
- Production data analysis using reservoir simulation
Workshop – field examples – Haynesville and Eagle Ford
Principles of reservoir engineering – Production mechanisms, fundamental fluid and rock properties
Well evaluation – well testing principles
Engineers and Geoscientists interested in developing competencies in reservoir engineering fundamentals of shale plays.
What are “Unconventional Reservoirs” and how they differ from “Conventional Reservoirs”?
Overview of Shale Basics
Identifying the best reservoirs
Main geologic and engineering considerations for their evaluation and development the fundamentals of fluid flow in porous media.
A basic knowledge of reservoir engineering and petroleum geology.