Petrel Exploration Geology: Integrated Evaluation of Petroleum Systems, Plays and Prospects
This 3 to 5 days course teaches participants integrated exploration principles, workflows, and techniques using Petrel Exploration Geology software.
The course focuses on developing participants’ skill on play and prospect evaluation. The methods integrate all the petroleum system elements into geologically-based, objective and consistent workflows. These workflows document the results and the results can be easily updated once a new interpretation or data is available. Foremost, participants will understand why integrated petroleum system-based exploration is an industry best practice.
The participant will learn about:
- Fundamentals of petroleum systems and play concepts.
- Post well analysis using 1D Petroleum system modeling
- Basics of how play fairway mapping of the petroleum system elements is used to create play chance maps
- Determine the chance of success for the leads and prospects within the play and rank them.
- Probabilistic volumetrics calculation and analysis of the leads and prospects
- Evaluate a concession area using the Petrel Exploration Geology suite of integrated petroleum systems-based play to prospect exploration tools and workflows.
- Theory behind the processes (inputs and workflows) to be able to use the associated tools to perform play and prospect evaluations.
Exploration concepts and exercises on play identification, evaluation, and assessment using play fairway mapping, petroleum systems 1D modeling, play chance mapping, and leads/prospects resource assessment.
Concession/blocks analysis work process: using play fairway maps constructed using Petrel Exploration Geology, Petroleum System 1D Modeling and Petroleum System Quick Look (PSQL)
- Create 1D models for initial screening of concession area for prospectivity of the hydrocarbon charge and seal capacity.
- Play Chance Mapping using Petrel play fairway maps, PSQL generation and charge maps, and PSQL seal capacity maps.
- Update Play Chance Maps and volumetrics following newly available data. Re-evaluate chance of success for the lead/prospect segments.
- Lead/Prospect volumetric assessment to assemble one segment or more
Exploration geoscientists who want to understand how play evaluation and petroleum systems principles and analysis are applied as the foundation to create chance of success maps, leads and prospects volumetric probabilities and to help make decisions.
Good to have: Background knowledge on exploration, petroleum system modeling and Petrel basics.