Petrel Uncertainty Analysis and Optimization Fundamentals
Subsurface uncertainties assessment is an essential phase in any field development strategy. This course learning contents are design to provide the reservoir engineers with the concepts and necessary application skills for uncertainty assessment quantification and optimizations using Petrel workflows tools. There are several ways to analyze and quantify uncertainties in Petrel, whether those uncertainties are associated with a single modeling process, such as a hydrocarbon contact
depth in a 3D static model, or a combination of several interdependent processes ranging from seismic to simulation and economic forecasting.
This course discusses how to use Petrel Uncertainty and optimization tool to perform sensitivity analysis, uncertainty assessment, and optimization (history matching). It also covers the Proxy modeling concepts, benefits, limitations and its applications using the avaliable workflow tools in Petrel.
The course exercises are blended to incorporate learining of the software skills and its application using practical reservoir engineering technical challenges scenarios in the context of reservoir studies. The theory behind each software technology features are explained and practical exercises provided in each module to allow you to practice using these features described in the module.
- Sensitivity and uncertainty assessment workflows using experimental
design and sampling techniques
- Basic definitions for uncertainty and risk
- Discussion on sources of uncertainty and risk in the petroleum industry
- Explanation of dependencies and interactions between input parameters
- Description on how to quantify and assess uncertainty using the Uncertainty and optimization tool in Petrel
- Expanation on the typical uncertainty analysis workflow in Petrel
- Sensitivity analysis workflow and the steps involved in performing a sensitivity analysis
- design of the experiment
- how to assess the correlation of input variables and simulation results
- how to reduce the uncertain parameter space by considering important factors and reducing the problem complexity (uncertainty reduction)
- The different terminologies used to express uncertainty and risk such as expected
value, standard deviation, mean, cumulative distribution function, probability density function,
distribution and ranges
- Explain what cumulative distribution function (CDF) is and how it is related to the probability
density function (PDF)
- Explain the use a CDF curve to present the probabilistic estimate of a reserves (P10, P50, and P90)
- How to set up uncertainty simulation runs in Petrel and visualize results for both sensitivity and uncertainty studies using available visualization and analysis tools
- Exercises: Greenfield application scenario.
- Workflow customization and History matching workflow design including
an introduction to optimization techniques.
- Discussion on how to create a new workflow and the modification of an existing workflow using Edit workflow
- How to generate a Reset original workflow and how to use it
- Description on how to use different options in avaliable in Edit workflow tool to include a process in or exclude it from the uncertainty workflow loop
- Explanation on how use the Workflow editor to update models or cases
- How to create workflows that you can use to run simulation cases and output results to a spreadsheet
- How to use Petrel to aid the history matching process following the well structured history matching workflow steps
- Definition of objective function that measures the history matching quality
- Define and evaluate an uncertainty matrix
- Set up and use an optimization algorithm for the history matching process
- Use available results analysis tools to interpret results and monitor and measure performance
- Exercises: Brownfield application scenario.
- Proxy modelling techniques and its applications.
- Explanation of Proxy modeling concepts, application, benefits and limitation
- Discussion on how to define a proxy model, training a proxy model , validation and application of proxy model using Petrel workflow tools
- Exercises: Greenfield and brownfield application scenario
Module 1: Introduction to Sub-surface Uncertainty Quantification
Module 2: Sensitivity analysis
Module 3: Uncertainty assessment
Module 4: Workflow creation and modification
Module 5: Assisted History Matching
Module 6: Proxy Modeling
Development and exploration petroleum engineers, reservoir engineers, geoscientists, and any asset team members who want to get acquainted to Petrel reservoir engineering workflow.
This course builds on the Petrel Reservoir Engineering course. So the knowlegde of Petrel Reservoir Engineering workflow tools or equivalent Petrel experience is required.