• Lectures and classroom exercises: Introduction to processes of carbonate accumulation, carbonate factories and depositional environments. Florida case study
• Modern carbonate grains and textural classification of carbonates; the building blocks for limestone formation
• Carbonate facies and facies models.
• Field Study: Carbonate grain types and early lithification in subtropical lagoon, beach, fringing reef and wadi environments, clastic-carbonate interactions in shallow marine setting. Sharm El Naga, NW Red Sea
• Evening classroom: Gulf of Suez - Red Sea rift basin geological evolution
• Lectures and Classroom Exercises
• Principles of carbonate sequence stratigraphy. Outcrop and seismic sequence stratigraphy of carbonates,
• Tectonic classification of carbonate platforms.
• Field study of a Miocene fault-block carbonate platform on the Gulf of Suez rift margin. Stratigraphic and structural settings, footwall to hangingwall facies associations, sequences and potential reservoir facies.
• Evening exercise: Interwell correlations in fault-block platform setting.
• Field study of stratigraphic architecture and carbonate facies associations in a transfer zone setting. Changing carbonate factories with rift basin isolation
• Exercise on stratigraphic logging and facies correlation
• Lectures and classroom exercises on rift basin carbonates; structural settings of platforms in marine to lacustrine and evaporitic basins. Non-marine-lacustrine carbonates in rift basin settings; facies and facies models.
• Exercises on interpretation of marine and lacustrine carbonate reservoir rocks
Petroleum geologists, general geologists, sedimentologists, reservoir modellers, reservoir engineers, petrophysicists.
Basic knowledge of Geology