Well Design and Construction Engineering - Heriot-Watt University Course
This course gives an overview of the well construction process and an introduction to subsea drilling operations. The goal of the course is to provide an insight into the planning and execution of a modern drilling operation. Emphasis will be on the conceptual design and detailed engineering design calculations involved in planning a well.
This course forms part of the Heriot-Watt Distance Learning MSc Petroleum Engineering. Classes may be attended by individuals who seek to understand better the subject but who are not registered for the degree course. To find out more about the MSc Petroleum Engineering go to: http://www.nexttraining.net/masters.cfm
- Overview of Drilling Operations
- Exploration & production licenses, Drilling personnel and Rotary drilling equipment
- The drilling process onshore and offshore
- Drilling economics
- Rig Components
- The Drillstring
- Design of the drillstring
- Drilling Bits
- Design of PDC and Roller Cone Bits, selection of bits, grading of dull bits, assessing and improving the performance of drill bits.
- Formation Pressures & Well Control
- Introduction to origin and representation of pore pressures and fracture pressures
- Origin, prediction and detection of abnormal pressures
- Drilling problems associated with abnormal pressures
- Prediction and confirmation of formation fracture pressures
- Principles of primary & secondary well control
- Warning signs of kicks
- Well killing procedures
- BOP equipment and BOP stack arrangements.
- Drilling Fluids, Hydraulics and Casing
- Functions, properties, design/selection of various types of drilling fluid
- Wellsite tests performed on drilling fluids
- Design of a solids control system
- Introduction to pressure losses in the drilling system
- Optimization of bit hydraulics
- Major functions and properties of casing and casing string configurations
- Casing running operations
- The casing design process
- Cementing and Directional Drilling
- Functions and properties of cement, single and multiple stage cementing operations
- Designing a cementing operation
- Assessing the quality of the cement sheath
- Introduction to directional drilling
- Designing the trajectory for a directional well
- Directional drilling tools and BHAs
- Introduction to wellbore surveying
- Calculating the trajectory of a directional well based on survey data
- Directional surveying tools
- Measurement While Drilling and Subsea Drilling
- Introduction to MWD and the value of real time data
- MWD data collection and transmission techniques
- Introduction to tools and equipment used to drill from a floating drilling rig
- Course review
Trainee drilling engineers, petroleum engineers and specialist service company engineers
Exposure to drilling operations
Abu Dhabi is the capital of and the second largest city in the United Arab Emirates. Abu Dhabi lies on a T-shaped island jutting into the Persian Gulf from the central western coast.
Abu Dhabi has a hot climate. Sunny/blue skies can be expected throughout the year.
The buildings in Abu Dhabi are too diverse to be characterised by one particular architectural style, especially as they have been built over a long period of time and drawn on a wide range of influences.
Abu Dhabi is home to a number of cultural institutions including the Cultural Foundation and the National Theater. The Cultural Foundation is home to the UAE Public Library and Cultural Center. Various cultural societies such as the Abu Dhabi Classical Music Society have a strong and visible following in the city. The recently launched Emirates Foundation offers grants in support of the arts, as well as to advance science and technology, education, environmental protection and social development. The city also stages hundreds of conferences and exhibitions each year in its state-of-the-art venues, including the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC) which is the Persian Gulf's largest exhibition center and welcomes around 1.8 million visitors every year. The Red Bull Air Race World Series has been a spectacular sporting staple for the city for many years, bringing tens of thousands to the waterfront. Another major event is the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC).
The diversity of cuisine in Abu Dhabi is a reflection of the cosmopolitan nature of the society. Arab food is very popular and is available everywhere in the city, from the small shawarma to the upscale restaurants in the city's many hotels.
Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH) is the city's main aviation hub and the second busiest airport in the UAE.
From Wikitravel licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0
- Timezone : GMT+04:00, Arabian (Abu Dhabi, Muscat)